I managed to emerge and run app-editors/vim-6.3 on my OSX Panther system. Given that libtermcap-compat seems to have issues on macos (http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57852), and that vim depends on either ncurses or libtermcap-compat, I guess the only way to build it is to have USE="ncurses" set.
I don't know what the policy is on per-architecture dependencies Vs USE settings, but a solution could be for example to die() in src_unpack() in case of macos and !ncurses with an informational message (and obviously to make the dependency on libtermcap-compat conditional on both !ncurses and !macos).
Anyway, some syntax changes were needed in vim.eclass to get the ebuild to work on macos, ie :
- remove hardcoded path "/bin/tar"
- change all "sed -i <> $file" commands to "sed -e <> $file > $file.tmp" to stop Apple's sed whining...
After these changes, app-editors/vim-core-6.3-r1 and app-editors/vim-6.3 built smoothly, and now run without a glitch on my system.
Diff on vim.eclass follows shortly.
Emerge info :
Portage 2.0.51_pre13 (default-macos-10.3, gcc-3.3, unavailable, 7.4.0 Power Macintosh powerpc)
System uname: 7.4.0 Power Macintosh powerpc
cat: /etc/gentoo-release: No such file or directory
distcc 2.0.1-zeroconf powerpc-apple-darwin7.0 (protocol 1) (default port 3632) [disabled]
CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -faltivec -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -pipe -faltivec -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450"
FEATURES="ccache cvs noauto"
USE="macos X berkdb ldap mysql ncurses perl python ruby"
Created attachment 36438 [details, diff]
Diff on vim.eclass to make it work
I'm not going to apply any patch which involves removing sed -i. You people need to get yourselves a working sed-4 in the path before the default supplied one.
The tar fix is fine, I'll include that one once the sed stuff gets sorted out.
Incidentally, gvim supports a carbon GUI. Once osx support is in a less broken state I'll add this to the ebuilds and eclass if someone gives me a shell to play with :)
I've added in the tar fix. I'm not going to include the sed changes, you can use the gsed hack for that. Closing as WONTFIX.