Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 587424 - sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r9 inittab is incompatible with <sys-apps/openrc-0.13
Summary: sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r9 inittab is incompatible with <sys-apps/openrc-0.13
Status: CONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Current packages (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: Gentoo's Team for Core System packages
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-06-28 17:01 UTC by pavel sanda
Modified: 2016-06-29 03:45 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description pavel sanda 2016-06-28 17:01:20 UTC
emerge just updated sysvinit for me (2.88-r7 -> 2.88-r9).

for unrelated reasons i have and will continue to have old openrc 0.12.4.
after the update.
etc-update wanted to replace in /etc/inittab all lines having /sbin/rc to /sbin/openrc although on my system only /sbin/rc exists.

fortuntately i caught that before rebooting and downgraded sysvinit back, but it might save someones life if sysvinit either test on existence /sbin/openrc
and loudly scream or to have dep on newer openrc versions.

(i know it's not your bussiness to care about old openrc installs, but possible boot crash seems way too high punishment for people who need older versions.)

Reproducible: Always
Comment 1 Mike Gilbert gentoo-dev 2016-06-28 18:34:36 UTC
I would suggest adding this to RDEPEND in sysvinit:

!<sys-apps/openrc-0.13
Comment 2 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2016-06-28 18:47:21 UTC
That version of openrc is over a year old, so I would prefer to know the
reason you are keeping it rather than trying to backport to support it
so we can see if you can upgrade.

You should also be aware that all gentoo services have switched their
shebang lines from #!/sbin/runscript to #!/sbin/openrc-run, which will not
work with old openrc versions.
Comment 3 SpanKY gentoo-dev 2016-06-28 22:19:57 UTC
(In reply to William Hubbs from comment #2)

there should still be a blocker in sysvinit.  deploying the blocker to all packages might be overkill, but doing it to a few core ones (like sysvinit) should be sufficient.
Comment 4 pavel sanda 2016-06-29 03:45:47 UTC
(In reply to William Hubbs from comment #2)
> That version of openrc is over a year old, so I would prefer to know the
> reason you are keeping it rather than trying to backport to support it
> so we can see if you can upgrade.

I understand your point, but there is really no help. My hardware is too old and some parts of my system have to be kept blocked from updates.
IIRC openrc killed udev and network, but this is just chain reaction stemming from the fact that I need to keep some of my X drivers around the year 2009 ;)
As said I solved my problem, but putting the dep on such core package can save someone else neck.

> You should also be aware that all gentoo services have switched their
> shebang lines from #!/sbin/runscript to #!/sbin/openrc-run, which will not
> work with old openrc versions.

Thanks for the heads up.