Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 586184 - dev-perl/libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2 needs libiconv.so, but cannot find it.
Summary: dev-perl/libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2 needs libiconv.so, but cannot find it.
Status: RESOLVED OBSOLETE
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo/Alt
Classification: Unclassified
Component: FreeBSD (show other bugs)
Hardware: AMD64 FreeBSD
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: Gentoo/BSD Team
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-06-17 13:17 UTC by Mauricio L. Pilla
Modified: 2019-10-11 17:37 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mauricio L. Pilla gentoo-dev 2016-06-17 13:17:31 UTC
I am updating my Gentoo FreeBSD from 9.1 to 10.3. In the process, I was experiencing fails with dev-libs/libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2. It failed while ld was trying to find -liconv. In my /usr/lib, there was libiconv_std.* and libiconv_none.*, thus I had to make a link:
ln -s libiconv_std.so libiconv.so
After that it emerged OK.

I don't have dev-libs/libiconv as it blocks sys-freebsd/freebsd-ubin-10.3, sys-freebsd/freebsd-lib-10.3-r1. 

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.emerge dev-perl/libintl-perl 
2.fail while not finding libiconv.so

Actual Results:  
Not emerged.

Expected Results:  
Package emerged.
Comment 1 Yuta SATOH 2016-06-17 22:09:04 UTC
(In reply to Mauricio L. Pilla from comment #0)
> I am updating my Gentoo FreeBSD from 9.1 to 10.3. In the process, I was
> experiencing fails with dev-libs/libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2. It failed while ld
> was trying to find -liconv.
Confirmed just now.

> In my /usr/lib, there was libiconv_std.* and
> libiconv_none.*, thus I had to make a link:
> ln -s libiconv_std.so libiconv.so
> After that it emerged OK.
If /lib/libiconv.so.* exists in your environment, it seems to try to link libiconv.
Please remove them when emerge -e @world is successful.

Caution
Because core component (bash,libarchive,etc...) is linked to libiconv, 
please do not remove them before emerge -e @world is successful !

Workaround
ebuild libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2.ebuild prepare
gsed -i 's: -liconv::' /var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2/work/libintl-perl-1.24/gettext_xs/Makefile.PL
ebuild libintl-perl-1.240.0-r2.ebuild merge


> I don't have dev-libs/libiconv as it blocks sys-freebsd/freebsd-ubin-10.3,
> sys-freebsd/freebsd-lib-10.3-r1. 
10.0 or later, the system has a iconv.
libiconv is not required.

FYI,
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-iconv.html

> Reproducible: Always
> 
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1.emerge dev-perl/libintl-perl 
> 2.fail while not finding libiconv.so
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Not emerged.
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Package emerged.
Comment 2 Mauricio L. Pilla gentoo-dev 2016-06-17 22:31:22 UTC
Thanks again, I am in the process of emerge -e @world.
Comment 3 Kent Fredric (IRC: kent\n) gentoo-dev 2019-07-15 10:23:39 UTC
If a build log from this failing can be provided (or a newer version, preferably), maybe perl team can lend a hand?

Otherwise it looks a fair bit like, bug #648350 in possibly having some discrepancy between "configure" phase.
Comment 4 Michał Górny archtester Gentoo Infrastructure gentoo-dev Security 2019-10-11 17:37:24 UTC
*-fbsd is gone.