Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 490750 - >=sys-apps/openrc-0.12.0 - When upgrading from 0.11.x, the now obsolete net.lo initscript is still in boot runlevel which may interfere with loopback initscript
Summary: >=sys-apps/openrc-0.12.0 - When upgrading from 0.11.x, the now obsolete net.l...
Status: UNCONFIRMED
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Hosted Projects
Classification: Unclassified
Component: netifrc (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: netifrc Team
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 493516 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-11-08 15:05 UTC by Thomas Deutschmann
Modified: 2015-05-16 11:39 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Thomas Deutschmann gentoo-dev Security 2013-11-08 15:05:53 UTC
Hi,

openrc-0.12 uses the loopback initscript to setup the loopback interface. In previous versions, net.lo did that work.

With the release of openrc-0.12 net.lo moved to the netifrc package.

When unmerging <openrc-0.12 we will remove net.lo, but like any other enabled initscripts, we won't remove it from the runlevel.

The problem is, that because most systems upgrading to openrc-0.12 will also install netifrc, which will bring back net.lo, we will now start loopback *and* net.lo (because the net.lo initscript is back and wasn't removed from the runlevel). This will result in problems like described in bug 490512.


Conclusion:
We need to make sure that net.lo is removed from the runlevel.


PS: This shows another problem, not sure if I should fill another bug for that: Is it a wanted behavior that we will keep references to removed initscripts? For example, if openrc would make sure that not existing initscripts are removed from the runlevels (for example when updating the deptree), we wouldn't have this problem.
Comment 1 masc 2013-12-16 19:36:36 UTC
this might also break shorewall setups 
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-978456.html

0.12.4 should not be marked stable.
Comment 2 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2013-12-16 23:22:13 UTC
I disagree with your comment wrt not stabilizing OpenRC-0.12.4.
I'm not sure I feel comfortable having OpenRC run through all of your
runlevels in /etc/runlevels and wiping the broken symlinks as part of
the upgrade process.
Comment 3 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2013-12-16 23:42:26 UTC
Guys,

there is a concern about loopback and net.lo both starting the loopback
interface.

I recommend that we tell people not to have net.lo itself added to
any runlevels and let loopback handle the loopback interface.

Thoughts?

William
Comment 4 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2013-12-17 00:01:03 UTC
Let me clarify since the poster of this bug caught me in IRC.

There should only be one script controling the loopback interface, and
that should be /etc/init.d/loopback.

I recommend that we have everyone remove net.lo from the boot runlevel.

Thanks,

William
Comment 5 nobody 2013-12-22 23:07:05 UTC
And i recommend you post that as a news... ewarn just sucks to tell anyone anything of importance. Because we have no gentoo default elog viewer. People may just not save elog/ewarn... And it's something we may also not see on screen because of emerge hide output with job>1
Gentoo have a default news reader ; better use it.

What's the point to change net.lo to loopback?
Comment 6 Ian Stakenvicius gentoo-dev 2013-12-23 14:50:44 UTC
(In reply to Stéphane Pagnon from comment #5)
> And i recommend you post that as a news... ewarn just sucks to tell anyone
> anything of importance. Because we have no gentoo default elog viewer.
> People may just not save elog/ewarn... And it's something we may also not
> see on screen because of emerge hide output with job>1
> Gentoo have a default news reader ; better use it.
> 
> What's the point to change net.lo to loopback?

'net.lo' is optional as it's only installed when netifrc is emerged.  'loopback' is generic and always available.
Comment 7 Ian Stakenvicius gentoo-dev 2013-12-23 15:11:56 UTC
(In reply to William Hubbs from comment #4)
> Let me clarify since the poster of this bug caught me in IRC.
> 
> There should only be one script controling the loopback interface, and
> that should be /etc/init.d/loopback.
> 
> I recommend that we have everyone remove net.lo from the boot runlevel.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> William


Until people do remove net.lo from the boot runlevel, OR in case people choose not to (ie, just want to keep everything in netifrc), we should probably have a way to somehow make net.lo provide loopback, or have loopback be a no-op if net.lo is started already (or first; i expect it can be forced first via a simple 'use net.lo' in depend{} yes?)
Comment 8 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2013-12-26 22:36:44 UTC
As far s I know, there is not a valid reason for the net.lo script to
configure the loopback interface.
The only command that people need to run is

rc-update del net.lo boot
Comment 9 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2014-01-14 16:51:48 UTC
I am moving this to netifrc, since this really isn't an openrc issue. To
resolve it, we just need a newsitem for people who have netifrc
installed telling them to run the command in my previous comment.
Comment 10 William Hubbs gentoo-dev 2014-01-14 17:02:46 UTC
*** Bug 493516 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 11 Patrick McLean gentoo-dev 2015-01-16 02:25:00 UTC
Using net.lo to configure the loopback is a valid case for people who are doing DSR and want to have extra IP addresses configured on the lo interface (this is common in large server environments).