The exo-file-manager.desktop file installed in /usr/share/applications/ contains the command "exo-open --launch FileManager %u" which causes at least Firefox and Chrome to fail to open downloaded files with the message "the location is not a folder."
The issue is fixed by dropping the "--launch FileManager" from the middle of the command in the exo-file-manager.desktop file so that the line becomes simply "exo-open %u".
I have not yet found anything broken by this change.
This issue is likely not limited to just web browsers.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Install xfce4 (which pulls in exo)
2. Open Firefox and download a file.
3. In Firefox's "downloads" window, right-click a file and click "Open".
4. Dialog box pops up saying 'Could not display "/tmp/some_file.xls". The location is not a folder.'
4. The default file-handler for the file is opened.
OK, problem acknowledged but the solution is propably wrong.
See http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7257 and Comment #4 there, that's propably the way to go
Try it out
Should be fixed with exo-0.6.1: