Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 362893 - media-video/vlc installs libtool files referencing libpng14
Summary: media-video/vlc installs libtool files referencing libpng14
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Current packages (show other bugs)
Hardware: AMD64 Linux
: Normal normal (vote)
Assignee: Alexis Ballier
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: libpng-1.5
  Show dependency tree
 
Reported: 2011-04-10 16:37 UTC by Cesko Voeten
Modified: 2011-04-14 00:20 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Cesko Voeten 2011-04-10 16:37:21 UTC
As per http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6647403.html#6647403
Problematic file:
/usr/lib64/vlc/plugins/misc/libsvg_plugin.la
Comment 1 Samuli Suominen gentoo-dev 2011-04-10 17:07:47 UTC
aballier, does vlc use libltdl for loading plugins? if it does, you should apply this to src_install():

find "${ED}" -name '*.la' -exec sed -i -e "/^dependency_libs/s:=.*:='':" {} +

if it doesn't, and they're simply useless, you should remove them instead.

otherwise vlc will cause other packages to fail when libpng 1.5 hits ~arch
Comment 2 Alexis Ballier gentoo-dev 2011-04-12 20:39:02 UTC
Fix your system so that no library used by vlc installs a .la file referencing libpng14 and your problem will be gone. Here it does not reference it.

(In reply to comment #1)
> aballier, does vlc use libltdl for loading plugins? if it does, you should
> apply this to src_install():
> 
> find "${ED}" -name '*.la' -exec sed -i -e "/^dependency_libs/s:=.*:='':" {} +

No thanks, these hacks do not belong to ebuilds.


> if it doesn't, and they're simply useless, you should remove them instead.


As you can see from 9999, they will be gone with the next major release.
Comment 3 Samuli Suominen gentoo-dev 2011-04-13 04:50:13 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> Fix your system so that no library used by vlc installs a .la file referencing
> libpng14 and your problem will be gone. Here it does not reference it.
> 
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > aballier, does vlc use libltdl for loading plugins? if it does, you should
> > apply this to src_install():
> > 
> > find "${ED}" -name '*.la' -exec sed -i -e "/^dependency_libs/s:=.*:='':" {} +
> 
> No thanks, these hacks do not belong to ebuilds.

Explain to me why you think it's a hack.  It sets dependency_libs to '' with one-liner to render the installed .la files harmless.  VLC installs libvlc, therefore it can have reverse dependencies linking to it.  Therefore it should be stopped here as well.

> > if it doesn't, and they're simply useless, you should remove them instead.
> As you can see from 9999, they will be gone with the next major release.

Then good, letting this bug stay closed because of above.
Comment 4 Alexis Ballier gentoo-dev 2011-04-14 00:20:51 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > Fix your system so that no library used by vlc installs a .la file referencing
> > libpng14 and your problem will be gone. Here it does not reference it.
> > 
> > (In reply to comment #1)
> > > aballier, does vlc use libltdl for loading plugins? if it does, you should
> > > apply this to src_install():
> > > 
> > > find "${ED}" -name '*.la' -exec sed -i -e "/^dependency_libs/s:=.*:='':" {} +
> > 
> > No thanks, these hacks do not belong to ebuilds.
> 
> Explain to me why you think it's a hack.  It sets dependency_libs to '' with
> one-liner to render the installed .la files harmless.  VLC installs libvlc,
> therefore it can have reverse dependencies linking to it.  Therefore it should
> be stopped here as well.

Well... there's a couple of reasons:
- libvlc links to (almost) nothing, so dependency_libs are a non issue
- packages using libvlc should _not_ link to the plugins
- I don't understand your argument about libltdl: as far as I know, it does load the dependency_libs, setting it to '' will just kill that feature
- if you still think its a good idea, elibtoolize will be a better place to change this rather than after installing the package