With phonon-4.4.1 and the phonon-xine backend I am having the problem that audio-streams from Phonon-Applications are listed in pavucontrol but there is actually no sound output.
The problem was discussed on the pulseaudio-discuss ML and the solution is given here:
Adding the two patches mentioned there fixes the problem for me.
Please consider including these two patches in Gentoo's ebuild for Phonon 4.4.1 until there is an upstream-version which includes them.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Emerge Phonon with pulseaudio and xine useflags
2. Configure Phonon to use PulseAudio as device
3. Run an application which uses Phonon to output sound (like Amarok)
Start pavucontrol and you will see a Audio Stream listed there for the Phonon-Application, but there is neither sound output nor does the volume meter show any activity.
There should be sound output.
I can confirm this bug. Ever since upgrading to phonon-4.4.1, I get no sound in either Amarok or JuK, but VLC and Firefox work perfectly.
Sorry for spamming, but I can also confirm the fix given in the link above.
Added the patches, thanks for reporting!
Wow, that was fast!
I can verify that the ebuild in main portage tree does work now. Thanks! :)
*** Bug 321003 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I still don't see an update in Portage. I just synced :-/
Sorry, I didn't revbump when I fixed it. It's now revbumped with the fix, so just emerge media-sound/phonon-4.4.1-r1. Sorry.