Since I updated zlib to 1.2.4, aide has been failing to update it's database and send my daily report. I've been puzzled by the problem for a while until I remembered that zlib-1.2.4 upgrade caused some problems in other packages as well and sure enough, when I disabled gzip_output in my aide configuration and gunzip the existing files, it all started working again.
The output of aide was looking like this:
> Output of the daily AIDE run (1 lines):
> Couldn't open file /var/lib/aide/aide.db.new for writing
Gilles, you should try zlib-1.2.5 instead, 1.2.4 release was so bad it won't go stable (and is now overshadowed by 1.2.5 KEYWORDS).
will do ASAP.
Same problem with zlib-1.2.5:
# aide -V4 --update -c /etc/aide/aide.conf
Couldn't open file /var/lib/aide/aide.db.new for writing
Fixed in cvs.
confirming this works with sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5-r2 and app-forensics/aide-0.14.2. Thanks all.