Subject: [openssh-unix-announce] Announce: OpenSSH 4.7 released
Date: September 4, 2007 8:14:09 PM EDT
OpenSSH 4.7 has just been released. It will be available from the
mirrors listed at http://www.openssh.com/ shortly.
OpenSSH is a 100% complete SSH protocol version 1.3, 1.5 and 2.0
implementation and includes sftp client and server support.
Once again, we would like to thank the OpenSSH community for their
continued support of the project, especially those who contributed
code or patches, reported bugs, tested snapshots and purchased
T-shirts or posters.
T-shirt, poster and CD sales directly support the project. Pictures
and more information can be found at:
For international orders use http://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order
and for European orders, use http://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order.eu
Changes since OpenSSH 4.6:
Security bugs resolved in this release:
* Prevent ssh(1) from using a trusted X11 cookie if creation of an
untrusted cookie fails; found and fixed by Jan Pechanec.
Other changes, new functionality and fixes in this release:
* sshd(8) in new installations defaults to SSH Protocol 2 only.
Existing installations are unchanged.
* The SSH channel window size has been increased, and both ssh(1)
sshd(8) now send window updates more aggressively. These improves
performance on high-BDP (Bandwidth Delay Product) networks.
* ssh(1) and sshd(8) now preserve MAC contexts between packets, which
saves 2 hash calls per packet and results in 12-16% speedup for
* A new MAC algorithm has been added, UMAC-64 (RFC4418) as
"email@example.com". UMAC-64 has been measured to be
approximately 20% faster than HMAC-MD5.
* A -K flag was added to ssh(1) to set GSSAPIAuthentication=Yes
* Failure to establish a ssh(1) TunnelForward is now treated as a
fatal error when the ExitOnForwardFailure option is set.
* ssh(1) returns a sensible exit status if the control master goes
away without passing the full exit status. (bz #1261)
* The following bugs have been fixed in this release:
- When using a ProxyCommand in ssh(1), set the outgoing hostname with
gethostname(2), allowing hostbased authentication to work (bz #616)
- Make scp(1) skip FIFOs rather than hanging (bz #856)
- Encode non-printing characters in scp(1) filenames.
these could cause copies to be aborted with a "protocol error"
- Handle SIGINT in sshd(8) privilege separation child process to
ensure that wtmp and lastlog records are correctly updated
- Report GSSAPI mechanism in errors, for libraries that support
multiple mechanisms (bz #1220)
- Improve documentation for ssh-add(1)'s -d option (bz #1224)
- Rearrange and tidy GSSAPI code, removing server-only code being
linked into the client. (bz #1225)
- Delay execution of ssh(1)'s LocalCommand until after all forwadings
have been established. (bz #1232)
- In scp(1), do not truncate non-regular files (bz #1236)
- Improve exit message from ControlMaster clients. (bz #1262)
- Prevent sftp-server(8) from reading until it runs out of buffer
space, whereupon it would exit with a fatal error. (bz #1286)
* Portable OpenSSH bugs fixed:
- Fix multiple inclusion of paths.h on AIX 5.1 systems. (bz #1243)
- Implement getpeereid for Solaris using getpeerucred. Solaris
systems will now refuse ssh-agent(1) and ssh(1) ControlMaster
clients from different, non-root users (bz #1287)
- Fix compilation warnings by including string.h if found. (bz #1294)
- Remove redefinition of _res in getrrsetbyname.c for platforms that
already define it. (bz #1299)
- Fix spurious "chan_read_failed for istate 3" errors from sshd(8),
a side-effect of the "hang on exit" fix introduced in 4.6p1.
- pam_end() was not being called if authentication failed (bz #1322)
- Fix SELinux support when SELinux is in permissive mode. Previously
sshd(8) was treating SELinux errors as always fatal. (bz #1325)
- Ensure that pam_setcred(..., PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED) is called before
pam_setcred(..., PAM_REINITIALIZE_CRED), fixing pam_dhkeys.
- Fix privilege separation on QNX - pre-auth only, this platform does
not support file descriptior passing needed for post-auth privilege
separation. (bz #1343)
Thanks to everyone who has contributed patches, reported bugs and
- SHA1 (openssh-4.7.tar.gz) = 9ebaab9b31e01bd0d04425dc23536bcc78f8d990
- SHA1 (openssh-4.7p1.tar.gz) = 58357db9e64ba6382bef3d73d1d386fcdc0508f4
- please read http://www.openssh.com/report.html
OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt,
Kevin Steves, Damien Miller, Darren Tucker, Jason McIntyre, Tim Rice and
openssh-unix-announce mailing list
openssh-4.7_p1 is in the tree now
Arches, please test and mark stable net-misc/openssh-4.7_p1.
Target keywords are: "alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 m68k mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc ~sparc-fbsd x86 ~x86-fbsd"
Stable for HPPA.
net-misc/openssh-4.7_p1-r1 stable on ppc64
No supported arches left here, someone please please file a glsa request.
Setting A1 (local privilege escalation) because this requires user credentials on the machine.
GLSA request filed.
Since it's not user privilege escalation it's not a 1.