I intend to clean out the old KDE ebuilds, which pollute the tree and slow down Portage. So you have 14 days now to keyword ~mips and the usual stabilization month. If nothing happens from side of the mips team, the ebuilds will be gone regardless. I'm not adding the other open bugs here the mips team never cared about and which may affect keywording/stabilization. You're just too unresponsive.
Carsten, you should probably read:
(In reply to comment #1)
> Carsten, you should probably read:
From your link,
The package.mask file can be used to 'hard mask' individual or groups of ebuilds. This should be used for testing ebuilds or beta releases of software, and may also be used if a package has serious compatibility problems.
If compatibility problems matches the case here, one could mask them for removal in 30 days..
Guys, Carsten made it pretty clear, I think, but let's clarify:
- 14 days for mips to mark KDE 3.5.7 ~mips
- Afterwards 30 days for stabilisation on mips
- After that, the old ebuilds will go.
This is completely within our ebuild (maintenance) policy.
Ciaran is probably referring to "Removing Package Versions" from the "Keywording" chapter as we would be removing "the most recent version at" the mips "keyword level" and thus potentially break some dependencies.
As I see it, though, there are exceptions to every rule and an unresponsive arch team (please search for the bugs yourself) justifies the KDE herd's approach to solving this.
I invite any interested party to either talk to mips to stay on the outlined schedule, try to become a mips dev to help them or do whatever else he/she deems fit to get 3.5.7 stable on mips within the designated time frame.
A large part of why the mips team sometimes takes a while to respond is that most mips CPU time is spent tidying up the mess made by people prematurely and unnecessarily removing packages in violation of policy. By breaking mips dependencies by package removals you are a) ensuring that it will take even longer for people to get a response on keywording bugs, and b) screwing over users. There is no need to remove ebuilds whilst they are still in use.
I don't know about you... but I like to know stuff *works* before I go slapping keywords on things.
As it is, I'm using KDE 3.5.7 right now on mips... have done for a month or so now, and thus am confident that it'll (1) work, and (2) not break peoples' systems. There's some stuff I know is broken (i.e. Kopete's jingle support) but the subset I have used, seems to work fine.
I should point out, the full KDE suite, on a typical SGI system, *takes a week to compile*. On Loongson, it's a few days -- however this isn't our primary platform. So the "14 days" you've given us, barely gives us time to see the bug, and do the necessary compiles ... let alone actually doing any thorough testing. (I haven't used _every_ package in KDE for instance.) I'm ignoring the fact the summary states 6 weeks, which by my maths, is 42 days, not 14.
Not sure about you, or any of the others on my team, but I have university constraints that take priority over Gentoo. If you want me to throw out my studies *just* so that you can have a 3ns response time, then fine -- you figure out a way I can get food on the table.
I'll start looking into this matter -- but I am extremely annoyed at the complete lack of patience and understanding of our situation.
So, patience and understanding aside, we're now closing in on 3 months later and no activity has happened...
(In reply to comment #6)
> So, patience and understanding aside, we're now closing in on 3 months later
> and no activity has happened...
Make it 4 1/2... MIPS already lost Gnome, I assume losing KDE won't be any more of an issue, with XFCE following soon since they are unable to keep up with the rest of the arches even on this most lightweight of the three DEs. So...
__/\___ __ | | ___ _ __ __/\__
\ / '_ \| |/ _ \| '_ \\ /
/_ _\ |_) | | (_) | |_) /_ _\
\/ | .__/|_|\___/| .__/ \/
and Happy New Year, mips! :P
I'm working on getting 3.5.8 keyworded.
kdepim failed somewhere in kontact with a libtool error when i built with all USE enabled. i have to look at it closer, but it takes 10 hours to build and fails on hour 9 so it may take me a while. the others have a dependency on kdepim.
well, whatever it was it was transient. built fine the third and fourth times.
thanks for your patience and your wildly entertaining ascii-art.