Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 152984 - media-plugins/audacious-plugins-1.2.2 needs "chardet" USE flag
Summary: media-plugins/audacious-plugins-1.2.2 needs "chardet" USE flag
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: New packages (show other bugs)
Hardware: All Linux
: High normal (vote)
Assignee: Tony Vroon
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 153490 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2006-10-27 07:49 UTC by xiaoping Gao
Modified: 2006-10-30 22:48 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Attachments
add "chardet" USE flag to audacious-plugins-1.2.2.ebuild (audacious-plugins-1.2.2-r1.ebuild,2.46 KB, text/plain)
2006-10-27 07:52 UTC, xiaoping Gao
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description xiaoping Gao 2006-10-27 07:49:30 UTC
Both audacious-1.2.1 and audacious-plugins-1.2.2 need to "--enable-chardet" when compiling to support auto detection of mp3 tag info, this compile option is controled by USE flag "chardet", 
But now ONLY audacious-1.2.1 has enabled the USE flag, So some CJK tag info are garbled characters, and audacious-plugins-1.2.2 hasn't the USE flag at all.

Here is an ebuild to fix this problem.
Comment 1 Jakub Moc (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-27 07:52:37 UTC
There's no 1.2.2 in the tree, and the flag is already there in previous versions.
Comment 2 xiaoping Gao 2006-10-27 07:52:57 UTC
Created attachment 100580 [details]
add "chardet" USE flag to audacious-plugins-1.2.2.ebuild
Comment 3 Jakub Moc (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-27 08:00:37 UTC
Life would be so much easier if people learned to file a meaningful summary... :X

Comment 4 VirusCamp 2006-10-29 07:43:14 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> There's no 1.2.2 in the tree, and the flag is already there in previous
> versions.

We can see here:
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=audacious-plugins
audacious-plugins-1.2.2 enter the tree on Tue Oct 24 09:48:15 2006 

and the flag "chardet" is not in any version of audacious-plugins current now.

Please note that , is audacious-plugins ,not audacious 
Comment 5 Zhang Le (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-29 21:09:44 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Life would be so much easier if people learned to file a meaningful summary...
> :X
> 
Why you say it is not meaningful?
Please notice that, it is audacious-plugins-1.2.2 which should have chardet flag.
However the flag is missing now.
Comment 6 Zhang Le (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-29 21:45:19 UTC
I have already put this ebuild in gentoo-china overlay.
layman -a gentoo-china to add it.
I really don't want to do this, as flameeyes has already said that too many overlays would bring us down.
But I have no other choice, if it is not fixed in portage.
Comment 7 Tony Vroon gentoo-dev 2006-10-30 05:15:35 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> I really don't want to do this, as flameeyes has already said that too many
> overlays would bring us down.
> But I have no other choice, if it is not fixed in portage.

Please note that an overlay ebuild will not cause the Earth to stop rotating. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. The bug would have gotten fixed anyway. 
Comment 8 Zhang Le (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-30 06:02:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > I really don't want to do this, as flameeyes has already said that too many
> > overlays would bring us down.
> > But I have no other choice, if it is not fixed in portage.
> 
> Please note that an overlay ebuild will not cause the Earth to stop rotating. I
> am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. The bug would have gotten
> fixed anyway. 
> 
I am so glad to see it would be fixed. Thanks.
I think this bug should have been avoided in the first place. A maintainer should have checked all the configuration options.
It is also should have been fixed immediately after it is filed, as it is easy to understand.
I think the summary is clear enough, especially after VirusCamp's explanation.
Gentoo-china overlay is not for ebuild like this. However, if bugs like this can't get fixed in a timely fashion, then people may put it in their overlay.
I just hope this could urge devs to do something they should have done and make gentoo ever better.
Thanks.
Comment 9 Tony Vroon gentoo-dev 2006-10-30 06:11:03 UTC
(In reply to comment #8)
> I think this bug should have been avoided in the first place. A maintainer
> should have checked all the configuration options.

The maintainer (who is also an upstream Audacious developer) hereby apologizes for being only human.

> It is also should have been fixed immediately after it is filed, as it is easy
> to understand.

The maintainer apologizes profusely for his attempt at having a relaxing, mostly "unplugged" weekend. He should clearly have snapped to attention the second this bug was filed.
Comment 10 Zhang Le (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-30 06:53:28 UTC
(In reply to comment #9) 
> > It is also should have been fixed immediately after it is filed, as it is easy
> > to understand.
> 
> The maintainer apologizes profusely for his attempt at having a relaxing,
> mostly "unplugged" weekend. He should clearly have snapped to attention the
> second this bug was filed.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I could imagine that maintainer may be out for a while. However, this bug did have caught someone else's attention, but it is not fixed timely.
Anyway, I don't mean to pushing anybody. If my words make you think so, I apologize.
My only intention is to make gentoo better, through cooperation with devs.
Comment 11 Jakub Moc (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-30 11:14:36 UTC
(In reply to comment #10)
> I think there is a misunderstanding here. I could imagine that maintainer may
> be out for a while. However, this bug did have caught someone else's attention,
> but it is not fixed timely.

Go step us as a full-time maintainer and watch bugs so that you can fix them in 5 minutes.

Closing this noisy nonsense, this is a volunteer distribution w/ unpaid developers, in case you haven't noticed yet.

Ktnxbye.
Comment 12 Jakub Moc (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2006-10-30 22:48:27 UTC
*** Bug 153490 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***