It might have been a quirk from when I used to use the ldap USE flag on this system. However I was doing an update, where I needed to update mod_jk. I have -ldap in my global use flags in /etc/make.conf. For some reason it was showing the USE flag as being enabled, and portage wanted to pull in ldap for apr-util. I went one step further and added dev-libs/apr-util -ldap to /etc/portage/package.use. It was still showing USE flag ldap enabled. Finally I tried USE="-ldap" emerge -pvapr-util and it was disabled. Now that I have it disabled and recompiled that package. It's no longer showing it enabled, as it should.
Not sure about all this oddness. Could be a local quirk on the system or a larger problem. Filling this bug per the request of vericgar. Let me know if you need more info or etc.
Version of portage in use at the time is 2.1.2_pre1. Let me know if you want emerge --info. Not sure it's to relevant atm.
Hmm, you are meaning the display of USE-flags before the package is even built? I thought you were meaning that apr-util was still using ldap even though the ldap USE-flag is off.
Can you paste the output of emerge --verbose --pretend apr-util?
You are thinking correctly. ldap USE flag was showing turned on, and showing up as a dep, despite the flag being off. Now I can't replicate this once I recompiled apr-util with -ldap. Maybe if I compile it again with ldap, I can reproduce.
This seems to be one of the last packages that had compiled in ldap support from when I was experimenting with the use flag. Some time ago. However I have had -ldap in make.conf for a few months now. So not sure how it was remaining on for this one package. All other packages stopped using ldap flag when I disabled it or turned it off.
dev tomcat # emerge --verbose --pretend apr-util
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12 USE="berkdb gdbm -ldap" 0 kB
Now it's showing correctly since I have recompiled less that flag. But before despite -ldap in make.conf, and -ldap in /etc/portage/package.use for the package. It was still showing
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12 USE="berkdb gdbm ldap" 0 kB
Not sure if I can replicate that. I can try if you like. I am not sure if the problem if I can reproduce it has anything to do with apr-utils. That's just the one package I noticed it on. Since ldap failed to compile, and i was trying to update a few other things I worked on recently.
So, if anything it was a portage issue. I'll let them decide if they want you to try to reproduce or not.
Yes I agree it's more portage related than package specific.
Please reopen if you are able to reproduce this.
Sounds like you had USE=ldap defined in your environment somehow. Unless you can reproduce this I'm not going to worry about it.