I just upgraded all packages on 6 of our machines (emerge --update --deep --newuse world). Last time I did that was in june.
After the upgrade 3 machines didn't start. After some investigation I found out that most of the symlinks under /etc/runlevels had been replaced by broken ones, like:
./etc/runlevels/boot/modules -> /tmp/stage1root//etc/init.d/modules
After replacing these broken symlinks, the machines started again.
emerge --info from one of the affected machines:
Portage 2.1-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.3.6-r4, 2.6.17-gent
System uname: 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.4
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-lang/python: 2.3.5-r2, 2.4.3-r1
dev-util/ccache: [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache: [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress
--force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/d
istfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
USE="x86 alsa apache2 apm avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cli crypt cups dlloader dri ed
s emacs emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gpm gtk2 imlib ipv6 isdnlog jp
eg libg++ libwww mikmod motif mp3 ncurses nls nptl opengl oss pam pcre pdflib pe
rl png pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection session spell spl ssl t
cpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb xml xmms xorg xv zlib e
libc_glibc input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse input_devices_evdev kernel
_linux userland_GNU video_cards_apm video_cards_ark video_cards_ati video_cards_
chips video_cards_cirrus video_cards_cyrix video_cards_dummy video_cards_fbdev v
ideo_cards_glint video_cards_i128 video_cards_i740 video_cards_i810 video_cards_
imstt video_cards_mga video_cards_neomagic video_cards_nsc video_cards_nv video_
cards_rendition video_cards_s3 video_cards_s3virge video_cards_savage video_card
s_siliconmotion video_cards_sis video_cards_sisusb video_cards_tdfx video_cards_
tga video_cards_trident video_cards_tseng video_cards_v4l video_cards_vesa video
_cards_vga video_cards_via video_cards_vmware video_cards_voodoo"
Unset: CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGU
AS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 103275 ***
According to bug #144969, this is not the same bug. I tried to report this under bug #144969 first, but they told me this is different bug.
I had this guy file a new bug because he claims that it happened during a world update. However, seeing that it was pointing to the /tmp/stage1root directory, I don't see how this could be possible, so it's defintiely a DUPE. After all, there is no /tmp/stage1root on a normal system, nor would any packages like baselayout even *try* to use such a directory, since it is a catalyst-only thing.
older baselayouts would have ignored the actual symlink which is why it would have taken so long to notice
OK, that makes sense, but the systems was unbootable since most of the boot runlevel scripts didn't execute. I think I would have noticed that before...
I do not even have catalyst installed. I have checked the stage-file I used when I installed these machines, and all symlinks are OK on them (two was installed with stage3-i686-2005.0, the last one was installed with stage3-i686-2006.0).