The avahi/nss-dns upstream maintainer approached me, requesting that we touch up our postinst message. Something like this should be better:
--- nss-mdns-0.8.ebuild 3 Jun 2006 19:05:24 -0000 1.2
+++ nss-mdns-0.8.ebuild 18 Jun 2006 17:47:54 -0000
@@ -34,17 +34,18 @@
ewarn "You must modify your name service switch look up file to enable"
ewarn "multicast DNS lookups. If you wish to resolve only IPv6 addresses"
- ewarn "use mdns6. For IPv4 addresses only, use mdns4. To resolve both"
- ewarn "use mdns2. Keep in mind that mdns2 will be slower if there are no"
- ewarn "IPv6 addresses on the network. There are minimal (mdns?_minimal)"
- ewarn "for slightly faster resolution which do not wait for timeouts."
+ ewarn "use mdns6. For IPv4 addresses only, use mdns4. To resolve both,"
+ ewarn "use mdns. Keep in mind that mdns will be slower if there are no"
+ ewarn "IPv6 addresses published via mDNS on the network. There are also"
+ ewarn "minimal (mdns?_minimal) libraries, which only lookup .local hosts"
+ ewarn "and 169.254.x.x addresses."
ewarn "Add the appropriate mdns into the hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf"
ewarn "An example line looks like:"
- einfo "hosts: files mdns4 dns"
+ einfo "hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4"
- ewarn "Add any domains other than those ending in .local to"
- ewarn "/etc/mdns.allow"
+ ewarn "If you want to perform mDNS lookups for domains other than the ones"
+ ewarn "ending in .local, add them to /etc/mdns.allow"
compnerd, are you around?
commited to portage without a revbump