Steps to duplicate (I think, not tested)
1) emerge =vim-6.3.084
2) emerge gvim
4) Note the error:
Error detected while processing /etc/vim/vimrc:
E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim
Hit ENTER or type command to continue
`emerge --update vim` fixes it, but shouldn't the dependencies force gvim-6.4 and vim-6.4 to be installed with vim-core-6.4?
The dependencies do specify that. Portage ignores them.
1) emerge info
2) steps that *you* can use to reproduce
* vim-6.3.084 doesn't exist
* using you're steps doesn't miss out vim-core
3) the output of what happened with `emerge --update vim` if possible
* was something new installed?
* was anything upgraded?
Closing due to old age