Gentoo Websites Logo
Go to: Gentoo Home Documentation Forums Lists Bugs Planet Store Wiki Get Gentoo!
Bug 104438 - loading error in firmware_class.ko module in gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r9 (applies to zd1201.ko)
Summary: loading error in firmware_class.ko module in gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r9 (applie...
Alias: None
Product: Gentoo Linux
Classification: Unclassified
Component: [OLD] Unspecified (show other bugs)
Hardware: x86 Linux
: High normal (vote)
Assignee: Gentoo Linux bug wranglers
Depends on:
Reported: 2005-08-31 17:59 UTC by Drew Walton
Modified: 2005-09-02 15:12 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Package list:
Runtime testing required: ---


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Drew Walton 2005-08-31 17:59:36 UTC
Well, I have a X-Micro Mini USB card, and I heard that kernel 2.6.12 had it 
built in. I chose to build the driver as a module, and built the kernel. Since 
firmware loading was also a module, that was built, too. However, when I 
either added firmware_class and zd1201 to /etc/autoload.d/kernel-2.6, or 
modprobed it, I got the error: "Error in 'firmware_class.ko'. Couldn't load 
module correctly. Unloading." This is very strange behavior, escpecially for 
Gentoo. Anyone know why this is?

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Emerge gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r9
2.Compile the zd1201 module with the kernel
3.Either add it to the kernel-2.6 script or modprobe firmware_class.ko

Actual Results:  
Same results every time.

Expected Results:  
It should have loaded properly, and detected my wireless card.
Comment 1 Jakub Moc (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2005-08-31 23:49:04 UTC
Please, try to reproduce this with latest vanilla-sources and report back.
Comment 2 Jakub Moc (RETIRED) gentoo-dev 2005-09-01 15:21:15 UTC
See above.
Comment 3 Drew Walton 2005-09-02 15:12:31 UTC
Never mind that error. I just realised that I didn't compile the driver with the
kernel, I downloaded the driver sources from a website. I just checked the
sources. zd1201.c was missing a critical system call. the Makefile was also
missing the calls for the usb source files to be compiled. Fixed that and it
works now.